[Q] Is it possible to launch a new Squeak image from Squeak?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue May 7 10:06:33 UTC 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 11:29:08AM +0100, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Chris Muller <afunkyobject at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am writing a test script for a network program written in Squeak.  I want the
> > script to launch additional Squeak images to participate in the test.  Can this
> > be done?
>
> Check out OSProcess - http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/708

If you are running your Squeak tests on a Unix/Linux system with OSProcess,
UnixProcess>>forkSqueakAndDo: or UnixProcess>>forkSqueakAndDoThenQuit:
will work nicely for this kind of testing. These methods will evaluate a
block in a separate Squeak image, and they are quite fast because they do
not need to reload the image file.

On Windows, it's not quite as convenient, but you may be able to do
something workable with "OSProcess command: 'squeak'". RiscOS and MacOS
remain problematic.

Dave