Pretty printing prefs (was: Re: rounded corners)

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Tue May 7 16:28:48 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, May 07, 2002 11:53 AM Doug Way [mailto:dway at riskmetrics.com]
wrote:

"...it would be nice if it were possible to have color highlighting without
pretty printing..."

Here, here!  :-)

I don't use the pretty printing feature, but I'd love to have colored
syntax.  My problem with the current pretty printer is that it optimizes out
Smalltalk code that is deemed "not necessary".  But there are times when I
like to have a bit of unnecessary code like in this case:

  myVar := aCollection detect: [:each | each = 'lalala'] ifNone: [nil]

Experts know (and may love the fact) that empty blocks have a value of nil,
but newbies sure don't.  I've had to explain this little feature to several
seasoned Smalltalkers (people with more than 2 years experience).  IMHO,
sometimes it's better to be a little obvious.

Another pretty-printing-esque feature that I would like is the ability to
format (i.e. pretty print) a method without turning on the pretty printer.
With this functionality built into the browser, you could format a new
method before saving it.  This is not a new concept, but it is a good one.

Cheers,

---==> Chris