[Win32] VM update (3.2 release candidate)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue May 7 16:53:17 UTC 2002

>  > Also it seems the windows port uses a
>>  different set of defines for gnuify?
>
>Which ones?  They look the same to me.  (Unless SF is not the place to
>look for authoritative VM source code these days??)
>
>Regards,
>
>Ian

Well this gets back to  Andreas comment the other day

At 12:57 AM +0200 5/7/02, Andreas Raab wrote:
>  > Note my benchmarks used a hand coded sqGnu.h and tampering with
>>  interp.c so I could really what was happening.
>>
>>  So without any changes your assemble should look like so.
>
>Okay, this is clearly a problem with currentBytecode not being in a
>register. It seems that by default it's not in a register (which it
>_really_ should since it makes a heck of a difference; I can only assume
>that Ian's sqGnu.h doesn't define CB_REG for some reason) and somehow
>your changes must have caused GCC to "get it right" by assigning it a
>global register.

I believe he's moved all his changes into SF. So if I look at

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/squeak/squeak/platforms/win32/vm/sqGnu.h?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

which I should have done before then I see

#if defined(__i386__)
# define IP_REG asm("%esi")
# define SP_REG asm("%edi")
# define CB_REG asm("%ebx")
#endif

Sure you had sufficent coffee today? Still groggy from your nap?