[newbie]Large (Huge?) file support

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed May 8 07:41:08 UTC 2002

>I work with high definition video and routinely make files > 10GB.
>I'd like to do my work in Squeak, but when I opened a 13GB file using 3.2g
>on my NT system, it reported the size as 4GB.
>
>As best as I can tell this is handled in a primitive, which is beyond my
>expertise.
>
>Is there support for files > 4GB? If not, are there any plans to do away
>with the file size limit? Am I stuck with C++?
>
>Thanks,
>Mike

Large file support is only build into some more modern operating
systems (aka os-x). Well Ok I'm just mimicking Apple's advertising
for os-x, since we all know large file support under unix is rather
old, same for some versions of Windows.

I think if you pick up the latest windows VM you should find support
for large files, that VM might have just gone up there on Sunday, so
which VM are you using now?

see ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.2gamma/win/

PS magic happens, at least for MSC_VER when

#ifdef _MSC_VER
#define squeakFileOffsetType __int64
#else
#define squeakFileOffsetType unsigned long long
#endif

I understand it was a real hassle to get this to work smoothly in
microsoft's playground, so positive feedback on usage of 10GB files
in Squeak would be welcome.