Backspace vs. Del

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Wed May 8 11:29:55 UTC 2002

Lex Spoon wrote:
> Actually it's more complicated than that.  127 is actually the correct
> mapping for backspace.  8 is the misconfiguration.  So the correct thing
> to do is to map X's 127 to Squeak's 8.  Now, delete doesn't even have an
> ASCII character at all.  So you might as well let 8 also map to 8.

Lex, what have you been smoking?
Way back when ASCII was the stuff that teletypes used, DEL was 127, and
BS was 8. AFAIK, they didn't change that recently...
Now, the question whether the key just above the return key on the main
key block should generate BS or DEL is at least as old as the question
whether EOF is ^Z or ^D on UNIX TTYs.
Since PC-style keyboards have a 'DEL' key, let's just make our life
simple and assume that it generates the DEL ASCII code. If it does not,
fix it at the OS/window system level. And since there's a perfectly
good key for DEL now, the key above return must generate BS, logically.

And of course, none of this is Squeak's business.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin