Backspace vs. Del

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu May 9 00:52:08 UTC 2002

Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at inria.fr> wrote:
	PS: FWIW, EOT is *defined* as ^D in ISO 646 (= ASCII);  AFAIK, ^Z was
	    a CP/M [read: DOS] thing)

Yes, but "End of TRANSMISSION" is not the same as "End of File".
It's arguable that ETX (End of TeXt) or FS (File Separator) or best of
all EM (End of Medium) is the right concept here.

I've used an operating system where EM (^Y) was in fact the end-of-file key.
DOS and CP/M picked ^Z up from the DEC operating systems like RT-11.
(I've even used an operating system where the designers thought the obvious
choice for end-of-line was ETX.  Fancy typing ^C at the end of each line
when there's a Return key going begging?  Thought not.)
,.