versioning

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon May 13 09:22:49 UTC 2002

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 May 2002 goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> > Have you looked at http://sourceforge.net/projects/cvstproj/ ?
>
> Yes, of course.  It has very similar goals to DVS (although I'm not

I guessed you had, it was just a way to trigger the discussion. :-)
Btw - I have never actually tried cvsproj! I have focused on sqcvs
instead.

[SNIPped interesting observations on cvstproj]
> sqcvs may be useful, however.  What's the current status on that?  Your
> last post to the cvstproj list made it sound like it wasn't quite ready
> for prime time.

Well, it has been sleeping for some time - Tim wants me to finish it of
course so that VMMaker could cope without CVS. Currently (if my memory
serves me right) these things are missing:

-add/remove. But they are good to have! :-)
-Adding support for keeping the client state in the same kind of files
as regular CVS does. Otherwise you can't drop out to regular CVS for
tricky stuff not yet implemented...
-Adding some simple line ending support. (check OS, pick the right one
etc)
-Adding support for diffs and gzip (diffs are easy - halfway done, gzip
is easy too) for performance.
-Clean up some inconsistencies in pathhandling in the code - errorprone.
-Add unit tests. Of course they should already be there but... ;-)

(perhaps I missed a few details, but I have it written down somewhere)

All in all these things are dead easy to fix/add but since noone has
joined up with me and since I got a bit bored with it it just sits there
currently. But the code is pretty ok I think - perhaps a bit "overly
factored" but it works and performance is practically as CVS (mind the
missing diffs/gzip).

I will just have to sit down and fix it - unfortunately my house begs
for my attention during the weekends so my computer isn't even turned on
then. ;-)

> Cheers,
> Avi

Cheers, Göran