ObjectiveC

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Mon May 13 12:34:35 UTC 2002

On Monday, May 6, 2002, at 02:53  Uhr, Sean Charles wrote:

> I'm currently wading through Objective C code on my Mac and it's
> killing me...it's so close to you know what that I'm thinking I'd
> rather be Squeaking...

Hmm, I have to admit I really like the way I can easily mix high-level
and low-level code.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to get the best
of both worlds.

> so has anybody (I know they have, I read it somewhere a while ago but I
> can't remember if it was usable or experimental) got Squeak to
> Objective-C translation I could have please?

Well, there is a modification of Squeak's CCodeTranslator that spits out
Objective-C.  You already got a pointer to the metaobject site, but I
see that the translator isn't up there.  It also isn't a finished
solution, because full Squeak cannot easily be translated to Objective-C
1:1, although it can/could deal with a lot more than the plain C
generator.

> The sad thing is that if I could just get Balloon3D straight enough in
> my head then I wouldn't even bother with Cocoa
>  but I'm 'in a hurry'

If you're in a hurry, then I wouldn't try this stuff...

> On another note, I just downloaded the Cocoa version having just
> upgraded to 10.1.4 and it seems a bit flaky.

Please:  file bug reports!  Which version of CocoaSqueak are you using?

>  Sometimes I get a BIG black square where the cursor should be

Does it go away by itself or do you have to refresh the display?  If the
latter, then you may be using an older version fo the CocoaSqueak VM.

>  and the event handling seems not to recognise the mouse or the
> keyboard.

So, essentially, nothing works at all?  After all, if mouse + keyboard
aren't recognized, you cannot interact with the image at all...

I have to admit that I haven't seen this, so if you could give more
details, that would be just great.

Marcel