processors and FP (was: OQO)

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed May 15 21:49:24 UTC 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> > (I too await a PDA with a floating point unit of some sort...floating
> > point, and lots of RAM....or, an iPod with Vorbis support...)
>
> How about the 4 inch screens on these new devices? Too large? Too small?

Sometiems I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that is too small.  For
a PDA, I want something with a screen the size of a Newton, but a bit
thinner and lighter, which is definately do-able with today's technology.
What is the consensus?  Do most people just want tiny iPAQ-sized (but
thinner and lighter) devices to do their scheduling?

> > On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 01:07:12PM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> > > PS Oh yes, ARM11 is already on the way.
>
> How about the Jazelle bytecode accelerator which will be standard (I
> think) on ARM11 (http://www.arm.com/armtech/jazelle?OpenDocument) ?
> Would that help Squeak?

Only if we can get Squeak to compile to Java bytecodes, no?  In and of
itself, that'd be an interesting feat. ;)

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"the profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the path
    of least resistance is what makes a river crooked."   ::  u. utah phillips