processors and FP (was: OQO)

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Wed May 15 23:59:53 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 06:48:31PM -0400, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 May 2002 16:22, Kevin Fisher wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity...I've never had any experience with Crusoe
> > chips before.  I notice the OQO has a 1Ghz CPU...and I understand
> > this has no floating point either.  However, at that clock speed, how
> > do you think emulation would perform?  Undoubtadly Squeak (or Ogg
> > Vorbis decoding :) would be faster, but would it be MUCH faster?
>
> The Crusoe actually has floating point hardware optimized for x86
> compatibility. See the block diagrams in
>
>   http://www.sandpile.org/impl/crusoe.htm

Ah, this is good to know...one more strike in favour of the OQO for me. :)

> > (I too await a PDA with a floating point unit of some sort...floating
> > point, and lots of RAM....or, an iPod with Vorbis support...)
>
> How about the 4 inch screens on these new devices? Too large? Too small?

The screens on the current PDAs doesn't bother me too much, but I suppose
I've just gotten used to it.  Just having the extra screen real-estate
on my iPaq was a big jump from what I grew to expect on my Palm.

However, my ideal right now would be one of those Microsoft Tablet PCs, if
they ever see the light of day.  They look quite nice, and having a
book-sized touch screen to scribble on with a stylus would be great!

[snip]