Size isn't everything (was RE: processors and FP (was: OQO))

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at networkinference.com
Thu May 16 13:11:21 UTC 2002

> From: Bijan Parsia [mailto:bparsia at email.unc.edu]
> > A number of people wonder why I carry anything as *large*
> as an iPAQ around
> > with me, when they want something truly 'pocket-sized'.
>
> You need bigger pockets.

I have bigger pockets.  They need bigger pockets.

> I routinely carry paperback books in my pocket :)

Maybe not that big :-).

> My newt (espeically with
> case) didn't fit, but I either 1) put it in the front pouch of my back
> pack, or 2) had a special pouch for it (some poeple used
> these modified
> thigh holsters...)

(2) seems to be about the optimum.  If the unit had mobile comms and
Bluetooth built in, and I could use a Bluetooth headset, it could then
replace the mobile on the belt clip --- I refuse to do a Dilbert and carry a
belt full of technology :-).

> Or I carryit by hand.

Guess I'm too used to having both hands free.

> >  Where do I put
> > this device when I'm walking to a train?  And so on.
>
> I think all this is secondary. Really. If these issues
> dominate, then a "Bijan Sized(TM)" tablet is not for you.

Quite.  My question is one of market size.  If it's not right for me, and is
considered too large by the PDA users and too small by the laptop users,
where does it fit?

A possible way of sizing the market would be to look at the 'ultraportable'
laptops - the 10" screens and smaller.

> Just getting into the 1-2lb range (with keyboard) improves
> things a lot.

That's certainly true.

> (And of course, you always need big, and preferably *deep*,
> pockets :))

I have deep pockets.  And, with Lancashire, Yorkshire and Scottish blood in
me, I also have short arms :-).

		- Peter