newbie needs help

Rob Whitfield rob at customfun.com
Thu May 16 16:17:30 UTC 2002

I'd like to use squeak to serve as a platform independent means to collect
user input and drive a series of command line utilities.  I've downloaded
squeak and worked through a number of tutorials.  Squeak is cool!  However,
at this point I have no idea how I'd create a squeak program to open a
file, read some data, display the data, allow the user to enter some
additional data, start a separate executable, etc.

Can anyone point me to documentation that would be of use in creating a
standalone squeak application that does the things mentioned above?  Is
there a good book that I should buy?  Also, when I start squeak it comes up
with its own environment containing elements of the development
environment.  How do I start squeak in a way that would run my program so
that my users don't need to know anything about squeak?