[OT]Ultra SPARC prices, and Squeak on SPARC?

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu May 16 16:53:26 UTC 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Yanni Jew wrote:
> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> RedHat no longer provides a pre-compiled version for SPARCs, that
> I could easily find on their site. I've been meaning to switch the
> machine over to some BSD variant, which I hear is more finely tuned
> for SPARC than is Linux.

Dunno about the BSD, and Gentoo looks very interesting.  But there is SuSE for
Sparc, reconned by some of us to be a better distro than RedHat. Unfortunately,
it's only at 7.3 (Intel is at 8.0) but you can get the isis:

http://www.suse.co.uk/uk/support/download/ftp/int_mirrors.html

Let me know how you get on, if you go ahead: I've always fancied getting hold
of some Sparc kit.

Cheers

John

--