Potential bug in becomeForward:, need help!

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 20:11:50 UTC 2002

> Which is great as all references now point to the real object and...
> the real object has THE HASH BITS FROM THE PROXY OBJECT - this is good,
> because you may have already put someProxyObject in a hashed collection and
> you would expect to find theRealObject occupying the same slot after the
> become.

Actually, I *never* allow any proxy to be in any hashed collection.  I wanted
to avoid the problem of changing hash values biting me as much as possible, so
I made my proxy not implement hash.  So when a proxy is added to any hashed
collection, it forces an immediate materialize from the database and the
becomeForward just in time.

> How does this differ from the example you gave?

So, I still got bit by changing hash values despite my efforts to avoid it..
:-)  Obviously, I never expected the hash value of any Symbol to ever change,
and a becomeForward:, to me, seems like it should be completely non-mutative to
the target object, including its hash..  Do you agree?