Potential bug in becomeForward:, need help!

Frank Sergeant frank at canyon-medical.com
Fri May 17 23:31:14 UTC 2002

Chris Muller <afunkyobject at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I understand doctor, #become is a message that can cause some serious pain in
> normal application programs.  :-)  But since proxies are a required part any
> object database framework, I NEED a working becomeForward:.

You may be right, of course, but I am not entirely sure you actually
NEED a working becomeForward:.  An alternate strategy would be to
continue to use just the proxy but to add an instance variable to the
proxy which would be nil when the real object was not materialized and
would point to the real object when it was materialized.  The proxy
would forward messages to the real object, materializing it first if
necessary.  This would seem to eliminate hashing concerns.

I am currently using the "becomes" approach (but with Dolphin) and think
that if I were to do it over again I would use the approach outlined
above instead.

-- Frank