it has to be a bug..

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Mon May 20 19:52:46 UTC 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002 10:43:42 -0700 (PDT) Chris Muller <afunkyobject at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Your argument is a "usability" argument.  That, based on your scenario being
>the most common scenario to use becomeForward:, there should be NO hashed
>collections that contain the argument at the time you send becomeForward:,
>OTHER than the global Smalltalk or the SymbolTable (and possibly other system
>objects).

Well, I'll go a step farther: do not use #becomeForward: with any argument whose entire history is not immediately clear. Do not use it with an argument that has been around for ages, nor for an object that has been exposed externally from its place of creation. Which leads us to...

>There's also Avi's suggestion of not allowing the server to proxy a Symbol.  It
>looks like that's still on the table for me.

I agree with Avi. Numbers, Symbols, Strings, Booleans all seem to be much more smoothly handled if never proxied. I would only proxy objects which contain other objects (and thus are subject to deep recursion and circular references).

Cheers,
Bob