Squeak limits

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon May 20 19:54:16 UTC 2002

>Hi, I would like to know if anyone knows how can I avoid the problems I'm
>having when I work with millions of objects. I'm running Squeak with 256
>megas of RAM and after evaluating 'OrderedCollection new: 2000000'
>everything gets slower. Thank you.
>
>Diego

Try doing a Smalltalk garbageCollect and see what happens.

It's a GC implementation issue. Since I'm about to take a gaggle of
teenagers to  the movie house I'll let someone else explain the
technical details of why Squeak becomes slow after allocating 100,000
element collections.

Mmm, maybe this week I'll think again on a solution...