[BUG] Can't write files with Squeak 3.2.7Beta5 on MacOS X 10.1.2

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu May 23 00:08:25 UTC 2002

>In an attempt to resolve some other mysterious problems, last night
>I downloaded a fresh Squeak3.2gamma-4857.image and, while I was
>there, the Squeak 3.2.7Beta5 VM (this is all on MacOS X 10.1.2).
>
>I read some file Ins, saved the image, but could not do a file out
>of my modified chgangeSet!
>
>A little poking about showed that
>
>	StandardFileStream new primOpen: 'foobar.cs' writable: true
>
>returns nil, which gets propagated all the way up to
>ChangeSet>>fileOut, where nil fails to understand #header.
>
>Yes, the FilePlugin is loaded, no the disk is not full.  What is
>weird is that at some earlier point I was successfully able to save
>the image under a new name, and even after this failure could
>checkpoint to that image file.
>
>Using the checkpointed image, I restarted with the Squeak
>3.0Alpha21MTCarbon VM, and was able to do the fileout without any
>problems.   3.0Alpha21MTCarbon uses FilePlugin 30 May 2001 (i),
>whereas Squeak 3.2.7Beta5 uses FilePlugin 9 May 2002 (i).
>
>So this looks to me like a VM problem.  Has anyone else seen this?
>
>	Andrew

having a repeatable test case would be nice.

Look for issues with file or folder name in the path exceeding 32 characters.
Perhaps the file is opened and never closed, thus maybe an error is
now tossed on the open again. Do repeated fileouts to the same
changeset name 'foobar.cs' result in a problem?

Squeak 3.0Alpha21MTCarbon uses the macintosh file open api which has
different behavior than the Unix file api used by the mach-0 or Cocoa
versions of the Mac VM, also it's large file name aware.

Note of course the primOpen:writable: should really throw an
exception here? Versus handing off a nil object that later results a
does not understand. Somehow catching the error via walkback would be
nicer when it happens.

PS Any aliased folders in the path?