MP3 and ID3v2 - Fixed!

Jason Dufair jase at dufair.org
Thu May 23 01:10:16 UTC 2002

I'm not the praying type, but first, let me offer a prayer that God may
deliver me from all C code for the rest of eternity.  Yeah, I can do it.
 I'd even go so far as to say the hacks I've done are relatively
elegant.  But, jeez, it's like pulling teeth sometimes after having done
Smalltalk for a year now.

Anyway, in a case of missing the forest for the trees, I spent the last
couple of *weeks* trying to figure out why the changes I made to
mpeg3io.c and mpeg3io.h were simply not working.  After litteriing the
*entire* source tree with fprintfs, unsuccessfully trying to run gdb on
the entire VM and countless hours of virtual debugging in the shower, I
finally figured out that, somehow, my freshly compiled VM (in
~/dev/3.2.1) was referencing the Mpeg3Plugin.dll lying around somewhere
under my image dir (in /mnt/c/Program Files/squeak).  I deleted the
plugin DLL and whoopeee!  I can now hear the song I've been longing to
hear for about a month in Squeak.  One baby step closer to the Squeak
uber-media box (which I'm thinking of calling STORMS - Smalltalk Object
Remote-controlled Media System).

(If the mpeg stuff is compiled into the image now anyway, why *would* it
be referencing the dll?)

So the question is - where do I send the patch?  Is it too soon to ask
for CVS access (since VorbisPlugin is next)?  Either way, please let me
know.  This patch should be OS-agnostic, btw.

Jason Dufair - jase at dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"Ad in classifieds: Pandora's Box (no box) $5"