BBC Micros and cooling (was RE: gettimeofday() revisited)

Nick Brown maillist at bredon-gill.demon.co.uk
Fri May 24 00:21:34 UTC 2002

My Beeb was quiet, yes, but certainly not silent. I was fascinated by
little whining noises it made when working hard.

Oh yeah, and just who decided NOT to put a volume control on the
built-in speaker?

In terms of quiet pcs, I'm just about to build a new machine: Athlon
XP-1900, with a Zalman 'flower' cpu cooler, low noise psu and silent
drive enclosure.

I was going to buy from silentpc, but found that another company, CCL
Computers (in the UK) were selling the same stuff cheaper, and also
sold stuff like motherboards, cpu's and suchlike. From what I can
gather on google's usenet archive, people have mostly had good
experience dealing with this company.

If you like, Peter, I can drop you an email, and let you know how I
get on.

There's also the silent-pc mailling list, at yahoo groups, where
people compare different kinds of carpet tiles for their sound damping
properties, and so on....

HTH,
Nick Brown