morphic slowdown

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat May 25 00:23:47 UTC 2002

Just another datapoint on Aaron's observation about 2.6 morphic being more
responsive than more recent versions - I was amazed by how much difference
there was, so tried out some other versions.  2.8pre3 (2359) is still
speedy, whereas 2.9a (3125) is slower.  I don't have an image in between
those two, although presumably there were some snapshots made during
those 800 changes that someone could find.

I assume this slowdown is a known thing for those who were around pre-3.0.
What was the change from 2.8 to 2.9?