morphic slowdown

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sat May 25 22:07:28 UTC 2002

Andreas Raab wrote:

> > Just another datapoint on Aaron's observation about 2.6
> > morphic being more responsive than more recent versions -
> > I was amazed by how much difference there was, so tried out
> > some other versions.
>
> What kind of benchmark did you use?! On what machine?!
>
> > I assume this slowdown is a known thing for those who were
> > around pre-3.0.
>
> Not for me. As far as I can tell, Morphic has never had any dramatic
> (nor even noticable) slowdown but that might be related to constant
> machine upgrades on my part. Thus my question about benchmarking.

Here is a simple benchmark:

[1 to: 10 do:[:i| SystemWindow new openInWorld].
(SystemWindow windowsIn: World satisfying: [:w | w model canDiscardEdits])
		do: [:w | w delete]]timeToRun

3.3 & 3.2vm & all windows prefs turned on:
     3421
     3355

3.3 & 3.2vm & all windows prefs turned off:
     2686
     2620

2.7 & 3.2vm:
     1638
     1693

2.7 & 2.7vm:
     1465
     1446
     1456

This benchmark change a lot form pref settings etc but it's a noticeable
speed bump from 2.7 to
3.3.

Karl