collaborative

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Sun May 26 15:59:32 UTC 2002

On Sun, 26 May 2002, Ned Konz wrote:
> On Sunday 26 May 2002 05:45 am, Niko Schwarz wrote:
> > The local IP address should be detected properly (it says my
> > internet IP would be 127.0.0.1 -- hmm, that not cool).
>
> The IP address returned is the first one returned by gethostbyname()
> (as I recall), which can return many addresses.

This is correct.  Assuming `order hosts,bind' in /etc/host.conf, this
means that the NetNameResolver class>>localHostAddress will return the
first entry found in /etc/hosts for the local machine.  If you have
something like

	127.0.0.1		localhost mymachine.mydomain mymachine
	the.real.ip.addr	mymachine.mydomain mymachine

then try changing it to

	the.real.ip.addr	mymachine.mydomain mymachine
	127.0.0.1		localhost mymachine.mydomain mymachine

or simply delete everything but `localhost' for 127.0.0.1 and use
`localhost' explicitly if/when you need the loopack address instead of the
real address.

Ian