morphic slowdown

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Mon May 27 04:49:26 UTC 2002

I'm on Windows 2K, 16 bit display depth & 85hz refresh rate, p3-600 cpu.
Running Squeak 2.7 (1782) vs Squeak 3.2g (4857) (Andreas's latest VM)
Each VM is using the most aggressive CPU&Video settings, with display depth
set to 16 bits to match the OS depth. Defer display update is off (I tried
it both ways, made no difference)

I put a FrameRateMorph in each version, with no other changing morphs
visible.

3.2 seems to be locked at a maximum 50 fps.

2.7 normally has a maximum, consistent 100 fps, except when I'm dragging
certain elements (like menus), when it will sustain 110-150 fps.

Is 3.2 doing some kind of framerate limiting? My first guess would be that
its waiting for Vsync, but since my refresh rate is 85hz, Squeak 3.2's 50hz
doesn't make much sense. Neither does 2.7's 100 hz.

I'm not saying that being locked to 50 fps max is bad, or that it has a
direct, perceptable performance impact, but it might throw off benchmarking
efforts if the later Squeaks are enforcing some kind of limit.

Eddie