[GOODIE] Jabber protocol

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Thu May 30 02:44:00 UTC 2002

> What features do they each cover?

Well, we used ours in a pretty functional messaging, VOIP, etc, client as
evidenced by the bar across the bottom of the exobox screenshots posted on
minnow.  I believe we had actually abstracted a communications layer on top
of Jabber to handle other forms of communication including email, etc.

The code I supplied would probably just filein with no problems on a
contemporary image with the exobox parser, which also would probably file in
without problems.  I haven't taken a hard enough look at YAX to see what the
changes were, but since he adapted an early version of the exobox parser and
I had to make some subtle changes later to accomodate the Jabber subclass, I
give it a small chance of working as is.

> And has anyone worked towards a client that would have a remote chance
> of working in stock Squeak?

I had written a simple client that did the basics of listing users, sending
text messages, etc.  Not sure where the code is, though.

Not sure that matters though as, I suspect both versions handle what we
need - a mechanism to detect presence and trading of current IP information
to support the current badges.  The other benefit would be that if one or
both of the users in a session are behind firewalls, Jabber can mediate the
transfer of data where the current badges would fail.

> I've started a Jabber page on the Squeak swiki; it's linked from the
> "Miscellaneous" section at the bottom of the front page.

-- Duane