[BUG] ESC behavior is different with regard to menus for text panes and worlds

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Thu May 30 03:57:14 UTC 2002

Hi, Craig!

The reason is that the text-editor menu does not have keyboard focus,
so it's not receiving any keystrokes, not even escape.

The reason the text-editor menu does not seize keyboard focus is in
order to preserve the selection in the text pane when the menu is
popped up.

Ned's 4835ptmMenuFix-nk had re-enabled type-in into text-editor menus
(i.e. gave them keyboard focus again,) but this was accomplished only
at the expense of losing the selection, which was the very reason why
we made text-editor menus refuse keyboard focus in the first place.

I am assuming that no one would argue that it is correct to have the
selection disappear in a text pane whenever its menu, which after all
contains items *addressed at that very selection*, is popped up.
This is not just another mildly quirky Squeak UI idiosyncrasy -- it
is simply wrong.  IMO anyway.

When someone comes up with an implementation that reliably preserves
the selection feedback in a text pane while a text-editor menu for
the pane is up, yet permits type-in into the menu, then we will have
the best of both worlds, and I think such a contribution would
receive an immediate and warm welcome from the community.

Until then, the trade-off is this:  we have disabled (temporarily) a
power-user feature in this one case, creating an inconsistency of
sorts, in order to avoid an egregious and indefensible error.

Now I wonder how long we'll have to wait before the perfect fix
appears on the wire...

Cheers,

   -- Scott

PS:  In the meantime, anyone who wishes to make the opposite
trade-off can readily do this by reverting
PluggableTextMorph>>yellowButtonActivity: to Ned's 4/15/02 version.