Squeak lockup

Bill Schwab BILLS at ANEST4.ANEST.UFL.EDU
Fri May 31 20:15:11 UTC 2002

Peter,

Have you read the info on the Wiki about the CPU monitor etc.?
The only remotely long-duration sessions I've done with Squeak
have been (3.2 gamma, I think) on Win2k for a couple of days at a
time, and it's done well.

I have an intermittent (but persistent) problem with a lockup on
Win95 in a MIDI app; that can take seconds or hours to show up,
but, the VM seems to keep running, the Morphic UI freezes.  I'm
slowly shifting hardware around in hopes of trying the same thing
on another computer and OS without "destroying" the machine with
the reproduceable problem.

The short version is that I'm very interested in seeing how one
debugs such things in Squeak.  To date, I've gotten crash dumps
from it by enabling 3D hardware acceleration on a particular
machine; the results leave me confident that if something similar
happened in my code, I'd at least know where to start looking for
the problem.  So far though, I've not been able to wear down the
lockup.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida