arbitrary precision floats?

Michael Vanier mvanier at cs.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 1 04:41:15 UTC 2002

Arbitrary as in user-specified, yes.  I'd like a BigFloat class whose
numeric precision can be set to anything I want.

I can see two options:

1) Have a pool variable called "precision" and be able to set that when I
   want to change the precision.

2) Specify the precision separately for each instance of BigFloat.

I think (1) is much better because it's simpler and I don't have to worry
so much about operations which combine different precision floats.

The interface might look like:

    BigFloat setPrecision: 100. "100 decimal place precision."
    a := BigFloat fromFloat: 5.0.

Even nicer would be to add lexical support for BigFloats, but that would be
much more work.

Mike