[ENH] Simple error message (was: [VI4] Re: [ANN] AspectS (0.4.4) & PerspectiveS (0.1.3))

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 2 21:33:27 UTC 2002

danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
> Anthony Hannan <ajh18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> > As a programmer I prefer to get a walkback
> > versus just a popup saying that the install has failed.
> Aha! my theoretical nitpicking is not the only reason to remove UI stuff
> from the model! we'll add a preference on whether to bring up a
> debug/message to deal with errors.

Instead of adding a preference what if we make the default error
notifier be a pop-up message with choices to debug or abort.  This will
be less threatening to the user, which I think was the point of Goran's
error catching anyway.  Attached is a changeset that does this - one for
3.2 and one for VI4.

Different versions are needed because I added an extra Exception,
UnhandledError, to VI4 that gets raised in Error defaultAction.  This
gives senders the option to intervene on debugger opening.

> Anthony, maybe the same problem you found is ailing the Refactoring
> Browser in VI4?

I am still working on this bug.  I am having a tough time catching it
because it just freezes the image with no debugger and no interrupt
response.

Cheers,
Anthony