[ENH] Simple error message (was: [VI4] Re: [ANN] AspectS (0.4.4) & PerspectiveS (0.1.3))

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat Nov 2 21:15:17 UTC 2002

Anthony Hannan <ajh18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Instead of adding a preference what if we make the default error
> notifier be a pop-up message with choices to debug or abort.  This will
> be less threatening to the user, which I think was the point of Goran's
> error catching anyway.  Attached is a changeset that does this - one for
> 3.2 and one for VI4.
I don't know, a debugger already gives one this option. If the point is
to not scare them, might be better not to ask them about it at all.

> Different versions are needed because I added an extra Exception,
> UnhandledError, to VI4 that gets raised in Error defaultAction.  This
> gives senders the option to intervene on debugger opening.
Sounds like a good idea. Is this incompatible with 3.2? I'd prefer not
to maintain two versions for something so basic...

> > Anthony, maybe the same problem you found is ailing the Refactoring
> > Browser in VI4?
>
> I am still working on this bug.  I am having a tough time catching it
> because it just freezes the image with no debugger and no interrupt
> response.

Sorry it's causing such trouble... ;-) At least it appears your VM is
getting some serious testing these days.

> Cheers,
> Anthony

Daniel V