SqueakDisk

Edmund Ronald eronald at cmapx.polytechnique.fr
Sun Nov 3 23:56:36 UTC 2002

while indulging my craving for following the teenage techno-herd, I came
upon http://slashdot.org/articles/02/11/02/1729247.shtml?tid=90 and
poked around the indicated links a bit. It seems this Knoppix thing can
run off the CD, install onto a Windows box or install a full linux
distrib, at will. It also seems capable of assimilating just about any
PC hardware automagically - unlike the Linux distribs which I and other
Slashdotters have had the joy of installing in the past.

Hence I wonder if Knoppix couldn't serve as a base for demo CDs for Squeak
from now on ?

Also, as it comes on a CD, and even on a mini-CD, it can obviously also
be burnt into a ROM. I wonder if some hack whereby Squeak gets full use of
a framebuffer without X might not be used in conjunction with this thing
Knoppix to implement a very viable low memory footprint Squeak-based
Dynabook environment, with the ability to benefit from Unix if necessary ?

In case it doesn't come through in the above meanderings, the
particularity of Knoppix seems to be that it really solves the install
issues for diverse hardware, *including sound*. Up to now, the only
product able to install reliably was Windows, and we all know how
expensive this feature has turned out to be.

Edmund