Problems with Squeak Alice

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Mon Nov 4 11:22:12 UTC 2002

Stephane,

I think you're seeing problems in the way Macs handle relative path
names (which is a problem that has been driving me crazy for a while
now). Check out what the result of the following is:

file := FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: 'SqueakObjects:Animals:Bunny.mdl'.
file directory.

If, and only if, the above completes successfully, it should answer the
*full* path to the directory, e.g.,
'OSX:Users:ducasse:Workspace:Working:Sq-Work:ForTurtleBook:Alice:SqueakO
bjects:Animals' in your case but I'm pretty sure it won't (at least not
on OSX).

The problem is that while the OS file handling routines accept relative
path names perfectly fine the file handling functions in MacFileDir
assume they don't and that "SqueakObjects" in the above is a volume
mounted on your Mac. That can lead to utterly confusing problems later
if other file or path names are computed based on that path.

The issue wouldn't be as problematic as it is if only Squeak's
assumption and the OS behavior were consistent. As it is, it only leads
to utter confusion because "apparently invalid names" (such as the
above) work perfectly fine with the primitives.

Cheers,
  - Andreas