Minimal images [was: Re: [ANN] Spaghetti Tracer (0.4)]

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Mon Nov 4 15:05:32 UTC 2002

Benoit St-Jean <bstjean at yahoo.com> replied...

>I'd say Compiler & friends would help...  :)

This is an interesting question.  I've been thinking about it recently while contemplating the ST72 and ST76 kernels (which are both under 100k of source).

I can imagine a source-only "image" that could be executed by a VM that did dynamic translation (into bytecodes or beyond).  This relieves the need for a compiler in the image (other than something that just adds new source to a method dictionary (or simple list!)).  I think the essence that is required of a minimal "complete" image is just enough to make the source code meaningful, not necessarily efficient.

	- Dan