SqueakDisk

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 4 20:48:04 UTC 2002

> Also, as it comes on a CD, and even on a mini-CD, it can obviously
> also be burnt into a ROM. I wonder if some hack whereby Squeak gets
> full use of a framebuffer without X might not be used in conjunction
> with this thing Knoppix to implement a very viable low memory
> footprint Squeak-based Dynabook environment, with the ability to
> benefit from Unix if necessary ?
>
> In case it doesn't come through in the above meanderings, the
> particularity of Knoppix seems to be that it really solves the
> install issues for diverse hardware, *including sound*. Up to now,
> the only product able to install reliably was Windows, and we all
> know how expensive this feature has turned out to be.
>
> Edmund

There is. The SDL libs provide Framebuffer access. SDL is a
multi-platform library for writing games, and provides framebuffer
access on a variety of OSs.

The SDL lib can also run inside of X. So a SDL enabled Squeak could run
at the console, inside X or inside Windows...

Knoppix + a SDL enabled Squeak would rock...

-Daniel