Minimal images [was: Re: [ANN] Spaghetti Tracer (0.4)]

Swan, Dean Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Mon Nov 4 23:34:43 UTC 2002

Andreas,

	If you can't find that .bgi file, I have a .zip file with things like: 'Egavga.bgi', 'Ibm8514.bgi', 'Herc.bgi', 'Pc3270.bgi', etc. in it.  I think the challenge targeting that environment would be running in 16 bit non-protected mode.  Personally, I just resort to Smalltalk/V DOS when I want run Smalltalk in that environment,  but I have had delusions of taking Dan's tiny.image, stripping out the graphics stuff and doing a text based interface ala 'Methods'.

	But alas, my 2 hour one-way commute has robbed me of 3 hours a day I used to have for such things before the telecom world imploded and the group I used to work in got shut down.....

						-Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Raab [mailto:Andreas.Raab at gmx.de]
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 6:17 PM
To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Subject: RE: Minimal images [was: Re: [ANN] Spaghetti Tracer (0.4)]

Dan,

> Certainly.  Back in August of 1997, I took a run at this and
> got an image that was 240k. I can send it to anyone who is
> interested (it was called "tiny.image" and I think it is on
> the UIUC server).  It had pretty much the above classes (it
> could do fileIns), and also just enough graphics to present a
> scrolling window (Class Transcripter in current Squeak) in
> which you could type, execute and print expressions.

Whoa! No, I don't remember it. Did you do anything specifically to get
down to that size e.g., removing #allUnsentMessages or so?! Part of the
extra size might be due to stuff like exception handling but it's pretty
surprising that you were able to get to this size *including* the
graphics stuff. How'd you get fonts, character scanners, bitblt, form,
color, point rectangle and the whole enchilada into that size???

Hm ... now where's that ega.bgi file when you need it...

Cheers,
  - Andreas