Croquet & Alphaworld

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Wed Nov 6 17:32:55 UTC 2002

Hi Folks:

Just been playing around with Croquet.  For some reason when I start Croquet
and hit "OK" on the URL it presents, I get a walkback.  If I hit cancel I
can still play around though.  I'm at work behind a firewall so maybe that
is affecting things.

Anyway, this is all very stunning stuff!  I'm amazed at what the engine
is capable of...that flapping American flag in that "maze" world looks
very realistic.  The splooshing water effect is great!  I could spend
hours clicking on Alan's face just to see it. :)

Croquet immediately reminds me of an old VRML-ish 'environment' called
Alphaworld.  Back in '95 it allowed people to connect with various
avatars, moving around in a 3D world.  I don't know if they are
still around or not..you could teleport between different areas in Alphaworld
as well.  However alphaworld was very closed, and server based...and I
gather Croquet is peer-to-peer.  Anyone remember Alphaworld?

Anyway, Croquet is very cool...