Croquet & Alphaworld (getting OT)

Jason Dufair jase at dufair.org
Thu Nov 7 14:43:04 UTC 2002

It is somewhat serendipitous to me that the project is called Croquet.
 I'm part of a team at Purdue University that is (and has been for 5
years) developing all of Purdue's student systems in Smalltalk
(VisualWorks).  We work in a nice little converted fraternity building
just outside the western edge of campus in a fairly wooded area.
 Someone brought in a croquet set this summer and we started playing
over lunch breaks.  We've all become completely addicted to the game.
 We've even played in the rain for fear we wouldn't get our croquet fix
that day.  It's a surprisingly strategic game and full of twists of
fate.  I've even gone and purchased a second croquet set for the team
since we wore the first one out.  I also developed a small play order
randomizer for the Palm (in Pocket Smalltalk, of course).

As far as rule 2 goes, it is not only acceptable to "roquet" someone by
putting your foot on your own ball while sending another player's ball,
it's actually fairly common.  It is indeed found as an acceptable move
in the official croquet rules (http://www.croquetworld.com/).

Alas, now that the weather is turning quite cold here in Indiana, we may
have played our last croquet game of the season (though tomorrow may
prove me wrong).  We'll probably do one honorary game of "snowquet".
We've begun to move on to a lan party of Neverwinter Nights to occupy
our lunches now.

I am very excited about Croquet, the project.  I've seen various 3D
interfaces here and there and have been "ho-hum" about them.  But to
have one developed by Squeakers and especially the esteemed Alan Kay,
I'm anxious to find more than the 15 minutes I've had so far to play
with it.  So far, so fun.  Good luck, Croquetters!

Jason Dufair - jase at dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people:
those who do the work and those who take the credit.
He told me to try to be in the first group;
there was much less competition."
-- Indira Gandhi