Croquet

Withers, Robert rwithers at quallaby.com
Fri Nov 8 18:32:15 UTC 2002

Serge,

I have recently gone through this (last night).  Here is the deal:   you
need to compile tea with the libffi package loaded on your system.  This
solves a situation you have yet to run into (a glxLists call or something to
the external GL library).  Make sure you login as root and make install so
you can see the shared libs that are created (or change you LD_LIBRARY_PATH
perhaps).  B3DAcceleratorPlugin and SqueakFFIPrims and external.

The other thing you need to do is get the correct 3D drivers for your
system.  This solves the problem you are reporting, or at least it did for
me.  I was unable to create a hardware renderer, because Xlib doesn't have
access to GL drivers for your video card.

Let me guess, you have SuSe 8.0 and an inVidia card?  If so, go through
YaST2 and Online update to get the NVIDIA_GLX and NVIDIA_kernel drivers.
Once those are installed, use 3Ddiag to check your XF86Config and repair if
necesary.  You can also use SaX2 to configure 3D.  I think this was
everything that I did.

Did you load the caseFix changeset from Bert?  You need this to start
etc...

Unfortunately I then ran into a problem in BitBlt>>copyBits when fixing
Alpha (configurationRule=40) called from the TeapotMorph I think?  It was
the #repairDamage method.  I have not yet figured this one out, but I
haven't looked into the Plugin yet.  I tried to run the OpenGLMorph to test
and it resulted in the same problem (once you change the engine to be the
GLXUnix engine...it implements the #glxFrustrum:with:... method).

This is all I know now about the situation.  I am really looking forward to
getting Croquet to run on my linux box.  It is incredible!  The Flag is
wonderful and the Elevator is a neat concept.  A public virtual
transportation system. :)   I can't wait to see the running simulation of
the artifacts found in Andreas' room.  Cheers to the Croqueteers!

rob