Croquet on Linux

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Nov 8 19:40:47 UTC 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:31:45 +0100 (CET)
> Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>
> > no warranty, no support, no anything, but here it is
> >
> >  http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/croquet/
>
> I try it without success on my Linux machine. I got the following error
> when i lanch Croquet :

Oh well. I thought I could get away with no explanation ;-)

You need:
- http://www.opencroquet.org/downloads/Croquet.zip
- http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/release/Squeak-3.2-5.src.tar.gz
- http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/croquet/teasqueak-3.2-5-unix.tar.gz
- ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/libffi/libffi-1.20.tar.gz

Build and install libffi if it is not on your system. You need both the
lib and the headers in a place where Squeak's configure script can find
it.

Unpack everything else into the same directory. That means, VPR's
Croquet0.01.image, Ian's "platforms" directory, and my teasqueak patch are
all there.

Apply my patch. Delete and re-generate the "src" directory using
VMMaker from the Croquet image. This will give you a new BitBlt plugin
that's needed for Croquet. I chose to build all plugins internally, so
I do not have to mess with various .so files.

Now that everything is in place, you should be able to run my script

	teasqueak-3.2-5 -b

The "-b" option tells it to build. If that fails, compile on your own as
usual. You should check the configure log if both FFI and B3DAcceleration
were indeed enabled.  You now have a VM versioned "3.2-5tea", to
distinguish it from the normal VM.

Fire up the Croquet image again, this time using the new VM. My
teasqueak-3.2-5 script does this, too. File in the two change sets. One
installs the OpenGL bindings (via FFI), one adds support for
non-case-sensitive file operations. You need to enable these in the
Preferences panel, "general" category, "caseInsensitiveFileNames". Save
the image.

Before I forget: Rename Content/Mars/ to Content/mars/. Directory name
handling is not yet case insensitive.

Drag the right Teapot morph out of the green area. Wait. If you get a
lightblue window everything is fine. Cancel the URL dialog. Wait again.
You have to wait pretty long. On one machine it took an hour or so. You
may take the time to skim the PDF.

After a while, the 3D world with all the portals should be displayed.
Navigate with the yellow button. I would recommand mapping it to the right
mouse button (-swapbtn VM option). This is what the teasqueak script does.

Even if everything works so far, you might notice some odd surfaces
displaying a red cross on yellow. This comes from textures that were still
not found. You might delete the generated "data" directory and get it from
a Windows user to fix this.

Let me know if this worked for you. It may well be I didn't remember some
of the minor issues. Like a non-existent src/plugins.ext file when all
plugins are made internal.

Anyway, have fun!

-- Bert

PS: I put a VM binary at http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/croquet