Croquet on Linux

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Fri Nov 8 21:28:08 UTC 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 20:40:47 +0100 (CET)
Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> You need:
> - http://www.opencroquet.org/downloads/Croquet.zip
> - http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/release/Squeak-3.2-5.src.tar.gz
> - http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/croquet/teasqueak-3.2-5-unix.tar.gz
> - ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/libffi/libffi-1.20.tar.gz
>
> Build and install libffi if it is not on your system. You need both the
> lib and the headers in a place where Squeak's configure script can find
> it.
>
> Unpack everything else into the same directory. That means, VPR's
> Croquet0.01.image, Ian's "platforms" directory, and my teasqueak patch are
> all there.
>
> Apply my patch. Delete and re-generate the "src" directory using
> VMMaker from the Croquet image. This will give you a new BitBlt plugin
> that's needed for Croquet. I chose to build all plugins internally, so
> I do not have to mess with various .so files.
>
> Now that everything is in place, you should be able to run my script
>
> 	teasqueak-3.2-5 -b
>
> The "-b" option tells it to build. If that fails, compile on your own as
> usual. You should check the configure log if both FFI and B3DAcceleration
> were indeed enabled.  You now have a VM versioned "3.2-5tea", to
> distinguish it from the normal VM.
>
> Fire up the Croquet image again, this time using the new VM. My
> teasqueak-3.2-5 script does this, too. File in the two change sets. One
> installs the OpenGL bindings (via FFI), one adds support for
> non-case-sensitive file operations. You need to enable these in the
> Preferences panel, "general" category, "caseInsensitiveFileNames". Save
> the image.

You didn't need to file in the OpenGL bindings before regenerating the VM ?

> Before I forget: Rename Content/Mars/ to Content/mars/. Directory name
> handling is not yet case insensitive.

I need to rename all the directories inside Content ?

> Drag the right Teapot morph out of the green area. Wait. If you get a
> lightblue window everything is fine. Cancel the URL dialog. Wait again.
> You have to wait pretty long. On one machine it took an hour or so. You
> may take the time to skim the PDF.
>
> After a while, the 3D world with all the portals should be displayed.
> Navigate with the yellow button. I would recommand mapping it to the right
> mouse button (-swapbtn VM option). This is what the teasqueak script does.
>
> Even if everything works so far, you might notice some odd surfaces
> displaying a red cross on yellow. This comes from textures that were still
> not found. You might delete the generated "data" directory and get it from
> a Windows user to fix this.
>
> Let me know if this worked for you. It may well be I didn't remember some
> of the minor issues. Like a non-existent src/plugins.ext file when all
> plugins are made internal.

I follow all what you say and i have a tea-squeak VM binaries linked to libffi (version 2) and
libGL with all plugins internally generated, but still have the same error as before. Maybe it's a problem with my 3D card, because the Squeak3D.log says : OpenGL initialization failed No OpenGL visual found!

Thank you Bert for your kindly help.
Best regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich                                         -< )  multiagent.com
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD                /~\  squeak.org