Croquet speed

David A. Smith davidasmith at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 8 20:47:55 UTC 2002

Croquet is in what I would call a pre-alpha state. Very little work has
been done to optimize the engine, as one would expect at this stage. Still,
I am quite pleased with overall speed and I am pretty certain we will
achieve close to (and perhaps even exceed) modern game engine performance -
with all the usual bells and whistles.

Remember to run in 32 bit color. This is because we utilize a stencil
buffer for portals and most graphics cards don't seem to support this in
hardware except in 32 bit. What happens instead is they resort to software
rendering for anything viewed through a portal. This means that a mirror
will render the scene once in HW and again in SW. VERY bad. Of course, the
software engines are extremely poor - but that's not their business. I am
looking at alternatives based upon the z-buffer.

Regards,

David