[Q]Automatically reoprting walkbacks(was: Re: Croquet walkback)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Nov 12 01:14:52 UTC 2002

Julian Fitzell <julian at beta4.com> wrote:
> Ned Konz wrote:
[SNIP]
> > However, automatically figuring out recpients would be harder. Perhaps
> > the SM installers could somehow track which packages got installed?

Eh. The map knows which packages are installed. And it does leave a
little mark in the ChangeLog to keep track of it reasonably well if
recovering images.

> > Or maybe we could add a field to the card with the initials of the
> > author so we could look up email addresses...

It should be the maintainer, not the author that receives these things.
And the maintainer can not register without an email.

> hmm... perhaps... I was assuming the packages would have to be
> DVS-installed to determine the package that a method was in.  It
> shouldn't be to hard to determine what package it came from in that
> case.  I admit if they weren't DVS packages it would be a lot harder :)

Yes, the only problem I see (if SM is installed) is to figure out what
package we should refer to.
Simply picking the class of the offending method sounds reasonable but
which package does it belong to?
Sure, using DVS makes it easy, but for the others... Hmmm. Perhaps you
could do a dirty trick by looking in the changelog or something... But
then it would have been nice if SM also marked before filing in a
package and not just after.

> Julian

regards, Göran