Squeak License

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Mon Nov 11 23:24:06 UTC 2002

Andrew,

While I personally agree with your comments about the GPL, I feel that
LGPL is OK for Smalltalk code, as apparantly does many within the
Smalltalk community.

For example, http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/Licensing seems to
view LGPL as absolutely OK for Smalltalk code, and it has been widely
discussed among many within Camp Smalltalk.

At http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html, Richard Stallman
says "using the Library GPL permits use of the library in proprietary
programs; using the ordinary GPL for a library makes it available only
for free programs."  Of course, then the question of "what constitutes a
'Library' for Smalltalk?" comes up, but I don't know how a reasonable
person could *not* call externally distributed Smalltalk code a "Library".

Never-the-less, I personally plan on releasing any of my own Squeak code
under the SqueakL license rather than LGPL.  As for GLORP (which I
ported to Squeak), that code is copywritten by Alan Knight of Cincom, so
he controls the license (which is LGPL).  And based on his posts, it
seems that Alan has every intention of GLORP being used for commercial work.

Nevin