Image factoring

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Nov 12 20:32:37 UTC 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 08:06 pm, Colin Putney wrote:

> Some of you will remember that I was hacking on PWS at OOPSLA -
> that's done now, and I have a DVS package with the PWS code. I also
> have a change set which removes PWS from the Squeak3.2-4956 image
> and cleans up a few loose ends.

Great! Thanks!

> I'm thinking we should create a community maintainer for these
> packages on SqueakMap - something like "Squeak Community
> <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>". That will give people a
> place to turn to for help, and make it easy to identify
> "unmaintained" packages.
>
> There was some discussion of creating package repositories recently
> - this will also be handy for community-maintained packages.
>
> ChangeSets don't seem to pick up the removal of class categories,
> so my change set empties out that category but doesn't remove it
> from the system. Anybody know an easy way around that?

Yes, just add to the postscript:

	SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: #SomeCategory

> Do we want to stick to the post-to-the-list-then-harvest pattern?
> I've attached my PWS work here for those interested, I'll be happy
> to post to SqueakMap instead, or wherever the new update stream
> maintainers would prefer.

I think we need to set up a new category on SqueakMap for these
removal/stripping scripts. Perhaps the new SqueakMap UIs can hide the
strippers so that people don't get confused and accidentally remove
things from their images.

Or they could show a separate menu item:

remove...

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com