Porting Squeak to Java VM

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Nov 12 21:50:56 UTC 2002

Norton, Chris <chrisn at Kronos.com> said:
>I dunno if it's wise or not, trying to make all of Java work from within
>Squeak (a la Smalltalk/X), but it would be super nice if Scamper could
>display all of the content that is currently on the web.  If that means
>Squeak needs know how to launch a Java VM in a little Squeak-wrapped OS
>shell, so be it -- I'm not an expert with these things.
>
>I'd just love to be able to do all of my surfing from Squeak.  :-)

Metoo. However, I think there are alternate and probably more useful
approaches:
- Make Scamper better. There's enough code to sniff at (e.g. Konqueror), and
  probably small bits of work (tables, Javascript) would go a long way. Who's
  in charge of Scamper and how can we parallelize this effort?;
- Link in Gecko (or whatever the Mozilla rendering engine is called today)
  and let it use Squeak for doing bitmap displaying. Dunnow if it uses GTK
  for all its calls, but if so this would be a matter of rerouting the X
  calls that GTK uses. Lots of work, but as soon as you complete it, you have
  a top-notch browser and you can run most GNOME programs from within
  Squeak...
Both are probably better methods than going through the horrors of including a
Java engine and then having to rely on one of the broken Java-based browsers.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo