Old Mac OS and relative pathnames?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Nov 12 23:52:40 UTC 2002

I've tried to fix this before in Perl, and never quite understood
which part of the behavior I was seeing was due to the Mac's Perl
runtime and which was due to the Mac OS behavior...

I'm trying to make the ArchiveViewer's 'extract all' button work right
when I have a zip file with members in subdirectories and on older
Macs.

The problem I'm having is that I can't get this to work the same way
on an older Mac as I can on Linux (and presumably on Windows, though
I haven't tried yet):

d := FileDirectory default.
fullName := d fullPathFor: 'xxx:yyy'.
fullDir := FileDirectory forFileName: fullName.
fullDir assureExistence.

The problem is that on the Mac this recurses forever. I have tried
'xxx/yyy' also (which doesn't work for obvious reasons). And I've
tried ':xxx:yyy' too.

So my questions are:

1. Should the above work (that is, should it make the directory xxx in
the default directory)?

2. If it shouldn't work, how should I handle relative path names on
older Macs?

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz