[ANN] SARInstaller forks for 3.2 and 3.4a

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Nov 13 18:06:16 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 09:40 am, Bergel Alexandre wrote:
> Hello Ned,
>
> Where could I find some info about the SAR format ?
> Is it simply a binary storage ?
> I have also made such kind of mecanism, I plan to submit it to the
> community with what could be a new module system.

I suppose I should document this somewhere, but you can look at the
Swiki entry on "FAQ: Squeak Packages":

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/779

However, here's the text that's there:

As part of the SqueakMap project, we've come up with a convention for
structuring multi-file Squeak archives. We're using the .sar
extension for these. They're Zip archives that can have any contents;
there are three special member names that are reserved:

install/preamble -- filed in first
install/postscript -- filed in next
install/card -- SqueakMap card

Within the preamble and postscript, self stands for the SARInstaller
that's loading the archive. It can be queried for the zip archive
itself, which can then be used to extract files, etc. There's a
shortcut for filing in change sets that are stored in the zip:

self fileInMemberNamed: 'memberName'

And you can ask the zip itself to extract files, etc.:

self zip extractMember: 'memberName'.

self zip extractMember: 'memberName' toFileNamed: 'fileName'.

 This gives you complete flexibility over how to install.

 To use the SAR format in your image, load the SARInstaller package
from SqueakMap. To create SAR packages, you can use the ArchiveViewer
manually, or use the SARBuilder or DVS packages.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com