Using SystemWindow

David Duke D.Duke at bath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 13 21:52:14 UTC 2002

I'm having a problem with the SystemWindow class.  After working back
from and simplifying the code that gave me the original problem, it
seems that the situation can be illustrated thus:

(a) if I create and open a morph -- for example, the simple "TestMorph"
from the "blue" Squeak book, pg 44, it behaves as I expect (that is, as
described in the book).

(b) if I try to embed this morph in a SystemWindow, e.g. issue the
following commands from a workspace,

t _ TestMorph new.
s _ (SystemWindow labelled: 'test') openInWorld.
s addMorph: t frame: ((0 at 0) corner: (0.5 at 0.5)).

then all I get is a black oval!

(c) If I add a RectangleMorph to a SystemWindow, the rendered morph
correctly changes colour when I send the "color:" message.  However, if
the morph is an EllipseMorph, it appears black, and remains black.

Assuming its a problem with the system rather than the user, I wondered
if it is something to do with the scaling involved in drawing into the
system window (drawOn: seems to be being invoked, as the rectangle case
works).  Before I spend any more time digging into it, can anyone
confirm if the behaviour I'm getting is wrong, and/or if the cause is known?

(I've tried this both under 3.2, latest change set, and under the new 3.4a).

thanks,
David

Dr. David Duke                        Email: D.Duke at bath.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science        Web:   www.bath.ac.uk/~masdad/
University of Bath                    Tel:   +44 1225 323 407
Bath, BA2 7AY U.K.                    Fax:   +44 1225 323 493