Etoy: lots of 'garbage' costumes?

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Wed Nov 13 22:20:59 UTC 2002

Hi folks,

in the "Scripting with Squeak" Seminar we're giving, Markus and I have
encountered a problem with Projects becoming difficult to save because
of memory issues.

A little snooping revealed that the problem was with
Morphs/Etoys/Players that were being animated by changing their costume
using scripting tiles (the  "... look like Holder's playerAtCursor /
increment Holder's cursor" pattern).  These seem to accumulate all the
customes they've ever had in the "costumes" instance variable of their
"player".

Since our students tend to leave their animations running in the
background while they work on other stuff, that adds up to a LOT of
customes.

Is this the intended behavior?  Can I turn it off somewhere?

I have a small snippet of code to zap all of these costumes.  Is this
safe or will I destroy something important?

Thanks,

Marcel