Win32 tablet support suggestions

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Nov 14 06:16:45 UTC 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:23:52AM -0500, Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:

> > I've used Squeak with a Wacom tablet with the wacom drivers installed with
> > no problems, didn't have to add anything to my Squeak installation.  Mind
> > you, the only features I used were click and right-click, but those things
> > and moving the pointer worked fine.  Whar exactly are you trying to
> > support?
>
> Pressure sensitivity, for starters.  Also, potential handling several tools
> at once, such as sketching with the stylus while adjusting the orientation of
> the drawing surface with the mouse.

If I understand correctly, USB wacom tablets follow the USB HID
standard.  What would really rock would be for squeak to easily be able
to use any such device with a small amount of configuration.  I don't
know how realistic this is on windows though, since they seem to want to
hide all such devices behind other drivers.

Unfortunately, all my cool devices are serial at the moment.  I'd love
to get some cool USB HID devices to play with.  Same old lack of time
and money though.

BTW, my wacom in squeak works fine under linux.  Of course, it isn't
presure sensitive or anything.  And the button situation is nicer when
using a mouse.  I find I pretty much only use my wacom when running the
gimp.

--
Joshua D. Boyd